A proper choice of roofing material is a guarantee that your roof will serve you for decades, the maintenance cost will be affordable, the house will look aesthetical and its primary function, protecting your living place from weather conditions and unexpected surprises from Mother Nature, won’t lead to additional fixing issues or money losses.
Conversely, if you buy roof tiles without taking into consideration some essential factors, which might be missed out in the first place, you will risk paying more both in the long and short run or even threat your house in the nearest future.
You can be easily bewildered by a huge variety of options available on the market. My goal is to highlight plastic and resin roof tiles, reveal their strong and weak points in order to help you make the best decision possible.
There are a lot of factors by which you should be governed while thinking about roofing. These factors include:
- Weather and Climate Conditions: A roof protects a house not only from rains, snow, and bad weather conditions, but, if the house is located in specific zones, from potential environmental hazards. That’s why the local climate nuances and potential natural disasters of your region must be considered in the first place.
- Heaviness: Heavy materials as clay, concrete, and slate must not be paired with a weak roof framing. Instead, you can use plastic, synthetic resin, asphalt or metal as an alternative. Also, heavy materials may lead to installation issues and additional expenses.
- Durability: Needless to say, that you expect the roof to last long — for many years and decades — without unnecessary concerns regarding fixing or even replacement.
- Roof Slope: The preferable materials also hugely depend on whether your roof has a steep or moderate slope.
- Appearance: Being an essential façade element, your roof must not only be aesthetic but harmonically fit in the house and neighborhood vernacular.
- Cost: Includes buying, installation, and maintenance price. If you are not pursuing luxury, but searching for the unity of practical solution and affordable price, I advise you to pay exceptional attention to resin and plastic roof tiles.
Resin and plastic roofing materials have been gradually becoming more and more popular for the past decades. The reason lays in the advantages these materials provide in comparison with others. Understanding the strong and weak points will help you to match materials with your needs, as well as the conditions you live in. This guarantees you avoiding money losses and unwanted maintenance issues.
Among the benefits I can emphasize:
- The purchasing and installation cost, compared to slate and clay, is dramatically lower and affordable to the majority of householders.
- These roofing materials are easy to transport and quite fast to install.
- Plastic and resin are lightweight materials which can be applied to almost any roof framing or slope. The lowest pressure varies from 60 to 300 lbs per square meter in comparison to slate (700-1000 lbs) or clay (900-1800 lbs).
- The average longevity of plastic and resin roof tiles is 50-60 years.
- You can easily maintain and repair your roof in the future without any professional assistance.
However, keep in mind that resin and plastic roof tiles don’t match with some of the housing styles. Also, plastic and resin are not the best materials for roofing in areas with the increased risk of severe environmental disasters (you should stick to heavy or special synthetic materials that are produced for these conditions.
But, if you are merely looking for an affordable solution along with good longevity in a modest environmental area and willing to eliminate as much headaches regarding maintenance or repairing as possible, these materials are the best choice you can possibly do.